Licences for High-Risk Jobs for Rail Workers in Western Australia

October 15, 2021

For anyone looking to start their career in construction or take it to the next level in Western Australia (WA), there is one crucial step – obtaining a high-risk work licence (HRWL) in WA.

What is a high-risk work licence?

This licence authorises individuals to perform certain activities or use equipment that falls into a high-risk category. This includes scaffolding, rigging and dogging, and operating machinery such as cranes, forklifts, personnel and materials hoist, boom-type elevating work platforms (EWPs) and pressure equipment.

Rail Worker’s Guide to our Featured High-Risk Work Licence in WA

There are many kinds of jobs for rail industry workers. Some are simple and require only standard certification. However, for tasks such as operating a forklift truck or performing rigging, you will need a special licence to perform high-risk work.

If you require this type of licence, we encourage you to browse all our relevant high-risk work licences in Western Australia and enrol to obtain the one that meets your job requirements:

1. Licence to Erect, Alter & Dismantle Scaffolding

Any kind of construction work, including in the rail industry, involves the use of scaffolding. And, according to the authorities’ regulations, any rail industry worker whose tasks involve erecting, altering or dismantling scaffolding requires a high-risk licence.

This course has three levels:

The successful rail industry worker eligible for this course must be at least 18 years old. The courses are delivered in a face to face workshop and the assessment method will include both a theoretical examination and a practical demonstration of the acquired skills.

2. Licence to Operate a Forklift Truck

Many rail industry jobs involving material handling require the use of a forklift truck. In order to be allowed to operate a forklift truck, a rail industry worker needs a special licence to perform high-risk work.

If you want to be successful at your job, the CERT Licence to Operate a Forklift Truck is the best solution for you. Our instructors will teach you how to:

  • Perform routine checks on the equipment
  • Shift and move heavy loads safely
  • Secure and shut down the equipment at the end of the operation.

After you complete the course and pass the assessment, you will receive your licence by mail directly from WorkSafe.

3. Licence to operate a Non-Slewing Mobile Crane

Non-slewing mobile cranes are:

  • Articulated mobile cranes
  • Locomotive cranes.

However, the Licence to Operate a Non-Slewing Mobile Crane is not valid for vehicle tow trucks, as they are not included in the non-slewing mobile crane category. Upon successful completion, a rail industry worker will master the following topics, among others:

  • Operating a crane
  • Identifying hazards
  • Setting up the crane, including data input into the crane computer
  • Reporting and recording damages and defects
  • Transferring the load
  • Shutting down and securing the crane.

Please note that you have to be at least 18 years old to enrol for this course.

4. Licence to Perform Basic Rigging & Dogging

This licence to perform rigging is part of a three-level course: basic, intermediate and advanced. For dogging (defined as using slinging techniques) this is the only required course to obtain your licence to perform high-risk work.

The course is delivered face to face in a workshop over 7 days. The assessment will cover both theoretical knowledge and a practical demonstration. Successful participants will receive:

  • Nationally Recognised Statement of Attainment to perform rigging work at a basic level and to perform dogging
  • High-Risk Work Licence issued by WorkSafe WA.

CERT – A Registered Training Organisation with Affordable Fees

At CERT you can be certain of two things. One, that we are a certified training centre, which issues high-risk job licenses for any industry rail worker in Western Australia recognised in all the Australian states. Two, that we have affordable fees for our courses, allowing you to become certified to perform rigging or operate motorised railway maintenance and repair machinery.

Please note that in certain situations, the course fee includes the WorkSafe Licence Fee. CERT Training collects this fee on behalf of WorkSafe for the purpose of issuing your High-Risk Work Licence in WA.

Enrol in CERT Training now and kick start your career in construction with a high-risk work licence in Perth.

To stay up to date about rail industry practices, key health and safety information and best practices, follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.