This is the highest level of rail medical available and is for rail workers or contractors undertaking a safety critical role requiring a high level of attentiveness to their tasks and where sudden incapacity may result in a serious incident affecting the public or the rail network.
According to the National Standard for Health Assessment of Rail Safety Workers, a serious incident means: an accident or incident that affects the public or the rail network resulting in: death of a person; incapacitating injury to a person; a collision or derailment involving rolling stock that results in significant damage; or any other occurrence that results in significant property damage.
What is included in a CAT 1 Rail Medical:
The Cat 1 Rail Medical requires workers to fast the night before undertaking the pathology test. The medical includes the following:
- K10 Questionnaire for Psychological Health
- Epworth Sleepiness Scale
- Alcohol AUDIT Questionnaire for alcohol use
- Hearing Assessment up to 3000Hz
- Vision Assessment
- General Health Assessment & Questionnaire
- Drug and Alcohol screen (breath and urine analysis)
- ECG (heart check) prior to your medical
- Blood test prior to your medical
We can arrange for you to receive a blood test and ECG request form prior to attending your Cat 1 medical. This will allow your results to be reviewed at this appointment.
How long is a CAT 1 Rail Medical valid for?
Category 1 Rail medicals are valid from the time of commencement to:
- Every 5 years up until the age of 50, then
- Every 2 years from age 50 up until the age of 60, then
- Every year form age 60 onwards
Book your Cat 1 Rail Medical by contacting us via email: email@example.com or, phone: 1300 042 378